“One should not attend even the end of the world without a good breakfast.” – Robert A. Heinlin
‘Breakfast is not just breaking the night-long fast, it’s breaking it fast and quickly.’
-Elmor Nor, US dietician
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day but our hectic schedules hardly leave us time to sit and have breakfast, let alone prepare an elaborate and wholesome one but with these 10 quick fixes, you’ll never have to leave home carrying a stomach with a void!
10. Creamy pesto potato sandwich
A healthy take on traditional potato sandwich!
Ingredients- 2 slices of whole-wheat bread
2 boiled potatoes (peeled)
1 tbsp of cream cheese
½ tbsp of pesto sauce
Salt & pepper -according to taste
- Mash potatoes until smooth.
- Add ½ tbsp of pesto sauce and 1 tbsp of cream cheese to mashed potatoes.
- Add salt & pepper according to taste .
- Mix well
- Apply this mixture to a slice of bread , place another slice of bread on it.
- Grill until golden brown.
- Relish !
Pro tip- To save time, boil and mash potatoes a night before.
9. Exotic boiled eggs
What’s better ways to kick start your day than eggs? Boiled eggs are wholesome, easy to make and keep you going all day long. This sweet and spicy twist to boil eggs will help you add a zing to dull mornings!
Ingredients – 2 eggs
1 tbsp spring onions –chopped
1 tbsp chopped chives
Salt & pepper- according to taste
- Boil eggs as you like. ( Though the recipe tastes best with hard boiled eggs)
- De shell and cut across length.
- Sprinkle salt & pepper according to taste.
- Drizzle a little ketchup and mustard.
- Garnish with spring onions and chives.
- Dig in !
For a more filling meal, you can have it with a plain/buttered toast.
Pro tip – Chop onions & chives in advance, and put boiled eggs into cold water ( immediately after you take them out from hot water) to make de shelling easier.
8.Banana and oats smoothie
For the times you’re too lazy to bite !
Cooked oats – 2 tbsp
Milk – 3/4 cup
Yogurt – 1/4 cup
Banana – 1
Honey – 2 tsp
Nuts – 1 tbsp
- In a blender, combine cooked oats, yogurt, chopped banana, honey, little milk and blend it until smooth.
2. Then add the rest of the milk and blend again.
3. Garnish with chopped nuts.
Pro tip- Cook oats in advance/night before , to save time and to get a creamier texture.
7.Instant pan cakes
If you’re looking for a hack..
Follow the instructions given on an instant cake mix and instead of baking a cake make pan cakes out of it! Yummy and fluffy!
6.Cool cucumber sandwich
Cucumbers are best when had for breakfast! An ideal snack for summer, they’ll keep you fresh and cool all day long.
Ingredients- 2 slices of multigrain bread
1tbsp of mint and coriander chutney ( dip)
8-10 slices of cucumber
Salt& pepper according to taste
- On a slice of bread, spread a tbsp of mint& coriander chutney.
- On the slice of bread spread a tbsp of mayonnaise.
- Top a piece of bread with cucumbers.
- Place the other slice of bread on top of it .
- Bite in!
5. Fresh fruit yogurt
Ingredients- A bowl of chopped fresh fruits ( of your choice)
A bowl of thick yogurt
Mix fresh fruits and yogurt in a thick bowl and enjoy the sweet creamy goodness in a healthy way.
Pro tip- If you want to have a frozen fresh fruit yogurt and save a little more time , prepare it a night before and freeze.
4. Good old French toast
Indians are very tolerant, they love the ‘French’ toast as much as they love their fat laden paranthas!
Bread Slices – 4
Egg – 1 large
Milk -1/4 cup
Sugar -1 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon powder -1/4 tsp
Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
- Beat eggs well, then add milk, sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon powder and whisk for a few more minutes until well blended.
- Dip bread slices in the egg mixture to coat both sides well.
- Heat a non stick pan/skillet and grease with a little butter.
- When the pan is hot, place the egg coated bread slices and cook both sides on medium heat until browned.
- Enjoy !
3. Peanut butter and jelly sandwich
A favorite with kids, it’s nostalgic and sweet start to your morning.
Ingredients- 2 slices of whole wheat bread
1tbsp peanut butter
1 tbsp mix fruit jam
- Spread 1tbsp peanut butter on a slice of bread.
- Spread 1tbsp fruit jam on the slice of bread.
- Place bread on top of other.
- Grill till golden brown.
- Go nowm, nown,nowm .
If you still don’t want to cook in morning or really don’t have time for it the recipes below are ones you can prepare over the weekend and use it all week long.
2. Granola bars
Your homemade, lip smacking protein supplement!
Oats – 2 1/2 cup
Almonds – 1/2 cup chopped
Honey – 1/3 cup
Butter – 1/4 cup
Brown Sugar – 1/4 cup
Salt – a pinch
Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
Raisins – 3 tbsp
Chocolate chips – 1/4 cup
1.Chop almonds roughly into 3 or 4 pieces.
2. Line bottom and sides of a 9 inch pan with parchment paper and keep it ready.
3. Dry roast oats until lightly toasted. Dry roast nuts also separately.
4.In a bowl combine oats and nuts together.
- In a pan, add butter, honey, brown sugar, salt, vanilla essence and cook on medium to low heat.
- Switch off the gas and add the toasted nuts and oats to the above and mix well until well coated. Leave it to cool for 5 minutes.
7. Add raisins, 1/4 cup chocolate chips and mix well.
8.Transfer the mixture into the prepared pan and press it hard with a spatula or with your hands
Refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
10.Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a week.
1. Diet mixture
Crunchy, savory and healthy, a perfect all day snack to satisfy your cravings and keep you going.
Puffed rice roasted 3 cups
Oil 1 1/2 tablespoon
Asafoetida a pinch
Turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves 8-10
Roasted chana dal 1/2 cup
Salt to taste
1.Heat oil in a kadai
2.Add asafoetida, mustard seeds and turmeric powder. When the mustard seeds crackle add curry leaves and sauté till the curry leaves become crisp.
3.Add roasted chana dal and sauté for a minute.
- Add puffed rice and mix well. Add salt, roasted peanuts and mix well.
5.Cool completely and store in an airtight box.
With these quick fixes you may never want to go back unhealthy, ready to eat breakfasts. Remember, a healthy breakfast is the key healthy life. And as Jhon Gunther says “ All happiness depends on a leisurely breakfast.”
So, next when you think of skipping the breakfast remember Josh billings words “ Never work before breakfast, if you have to work before breakfast, eat breakfast first.”