“Give me luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities” — Frank Lloyd Wright
And World class travel can exactly do that for you! Be it the towering architectural marvels or the immaculate customer service bestowed upon its visiting travellers, these hotels never miss to hit the highest shot. Adorned with extravagant drapes and furniture, the private chambers provided by these hotels, can bring to you nothing less than a royale experience. But of course, at quite a cost. This dream-like experience that almost every traveler aspires to be a part of, often becomes quite a quest, for some, to scrutinize the quality based nuances which elevate a few to the crowning glory. It is these few chains of grand abodes spread across the globe, that have emerged to be the Giants to rule the world of hospitality and luxury.
10. Starwood Hotels and Resorts – With a renowned legacy Four Points, Le Méridien, Westin, The Luxury Collection, Sheraton, Aloft, St. Regis, W hotel, Element and more, this group of hotels is a class apart.Founded in the year 1980 with headquarters in Stamford,it has grown to build an empire with revenue earning of about 5.62 billion US dollars out of it’s 1207 hotels,each with over 300 rooms.Addition to that they also have several amazing programs, one of which is Starwood Preferred Guest(SPG) which allows it’s customers( and members) to earn and redeem credits for their stays and much more.
9. Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts- As luxury is not quantity but quality based, this relatively less expanded group, with over 100 properties in 40 nations, provides what no one does – indulgence in its purest state. Spaced out in the most exotic locations, the group was founded in 1960 by Isadore Sharp, with the first luxury hotel Four Season London (1970). Although mostly based in Toronto, Canada, the Four seasons made its grand debut in French Polynesia, with Four Seasons Bora Bora, which immediately shot up to be one of the top 10 best resorts in the world.
8. Accor – From the Novotels and Sofitels, to the ibis and the Mercure, this group of Hotels owns it all. This elaborate chain containing 3717 hotels, however differs slightly from the rest in the list. They redefine the very idea of luxury by making it synonymous to simplicity and comfort, which they guarantee. Having originated in France in 1967, and headquartered in Paris ,it is one of the most popular chains for Corporate employees and business class. The other popular brands under it are, Accor, Formula 1, Novotel, Suite Hotel, All Seasons, Ibis, Etap, Motel 6, Pullman, Sofitel and Mercure.
7. Best Western International – Undoubtedly the fastest growing hotel chains in Middle East and Asia, it adorns itself with the tag of being ‘World’s Largest Hotel family’. Founded in 1946, it proudly completes its 68 years of establishment in US while in Europe it has been for almost 37 years. Now headquartered in Phoenix, Arizona, U.S, its first five star marvel was opened in Prague, Czech, in 2008.With a revenue earning of 206 million US dollars per year, out of its 3900 properties, Best Western has secured it’s promising position of supremacy.
6.Jing Jiang International –With 2,208 number of hotels, this company has emerged to be the largest in China and one of the largest in the world. The latter venture is as a result of the recent development, of buying the Groupe du Louvre, France of Louvre Hotels Group. Furthermore, talks of more expansion in collaboration with Plateno Group , to takeover Starwood Hotels & Resorts, is expected. With a profound history of 80 years, the group has its star hotel Shanghai Jinjiang Hotel adorned with lush gardens and European-style architectural marvels.
5.Marriott International- Having made their presence felt in more than 72 countries, the Marriott International group has crowned itself the top slot with its classic poise. Founded by J. Willard Marriott and now maneuvered by son, Bill Marriott ( Executive Chairman) and Arne M. Sorenson, as the President and Chief Executive Officer, the company basks in the glory of owning almost 4117 lodging properties with over 653719 rooms, all across the globe. Under its humongous shade, the group includes the world’s most luxurious hotel brands, like JW Marriott, Bulgari, Residence Inn, The Ritz-Carlton, Courtyard, Autograph Collection, Fairfield Inn and many more. The company which has its headquarters in Washington , DC, bears an interesting tagline- “Your home away from home”, and their hotels ,luckily, seem to serve almost all levels of budget. It is also popular for its exquisite resorts and apartments, focused on providing a healthy and ‘wealthy’ stay, with its plethora of on-property spas and healthy dining options. Some of the most loved places are, Marriott Executive Apartments, resorts like Horizons, Marriott Grand Residence Club, The Ritz-Carlton Club, and et cetera. However, something which separates this chain from the rest is its reach in parts of South America, which provides several cultivated and sophisticated travelers an opportunity to stay in properties in Colombia, Peru, Venezuela, Ecuador and Brazil. Furthermore, going beyond this glitzy luxury, it concentrates on social issues like global diversity ,child-care, poverty eradication, environment, and development of community workforce.
4. Hilton Worldwide – Does the name ring a bell? Yes, this group founded by Conrad N.Hilton who is in every way related to Paris Hilton! From the 40-room hotel established in 1919 in Texas, and first hotel named Hilton in 1925, the hotel has emerged to a huge empire of 4278 hotels with over 650,000 rooms , spread across 90 countries. With the legacy of hotels like Waldorf Astoria, Doubletree, Hilton Hotels, Embassy, Curio, Conrad, Canopy, Garden Inn, Hampton and Homewood Suites, its name has soared to become one of the world’s largest brands in style, opulence and innovation.
3.Intercontinental Hotels Group- Spread across 100 countries all over the world , the company presently holds almost 4840 properties of hotels and resorts and clearly marks its dominion in the hotel industry. It adorns itself with an interesting history of origin that dates back to 1777, when its first hotel Bass Brewery was established. And, now with mounting expansion, it envelops the largest brands of hotels, such as Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn, Hotel Indigo, InterContinental, HUALUXE™ Hotels and Resorts, Candlewood Suites, Holiday Inn Express, Staybridge Suites and EVEN™ Hotels.The Avenue Crowne Plaza Chicago Magnificent Mile and The Venetian Macao Resort, are simply the ones that are ought to get enlisted under ‘must-visit’ category.
2.Choice Hotels International, Inc. -Claimed to be Innovators in the Hotel industry, they take pride for being the first to introduce services like telephones in every room, 24-hours desk service, guaranteed reservations,etc . It is these things which now have become basic and imperative facilities provided in all hotels across the globe .It was founded 76 years ago under the name of Quality Courts United, with headquarters in Silver Spring, Maryland, U.S., and soon rose to fame. Presently, it is one of the world’s largest hotels with 6379 properties under its hood which includes over 500,000 rooms across 30 countries and territories contributing to a revenue earning of almost 642 million US dollars.Encased under this one head,is a plethora of over 4000 brands such as Choice Hotels, Quality, Econo Lodge, Suburban Extended Stay Hotel, Rodeway Inn, Clarion, Quality Inn, Comfort Inn, Comfort Suites and Sleep Inn.
1.Wyndham Hotel Group-With 7,645 luxurious properties, this company hits the top by having the world’s largest number of hotels.Spanning over 66 countries in 6 continents, it was founded by Trammell Crow, in 1981, in Dallas , Texas. Back then it, however was known under the name of Wyndham hotel Corporation. The Wyndham group is also known to offer one of the best guest loyalty rewards at nearly 7000 locations, of free nights, airline tickets, gift cards and much more.Presently, the two hotels under it, Knights Inn and Travel lodge are considered to be the ‘busiest’ due to their affordability and painless access. Headquartered in Parsippany Troy Hills in New Jersey, United States, it prides itself with more than 40,000 impeccable employees, making every experience there, a memorable one, thus establishing “The Right Way. The Wyndham Way”.